12.06.2010

How to Install Virtualbox 3.2.1 on Fedora 14?

Virtualbox is a powerful x86 and x86_64 virtualization product both for corporates enterprise and home users.I am a LFY subscriber and generally try out Open Source distributions which comes with the Linux For You Magazine every month. This month I decided to give Fedora 14 Final Release a try.I downloaded a 675MB Fedora 14 from http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Live/i686/Fedora-14-i686-Live-Desktop.iso and installed it without any issue.As I keep testing the upcoming linux distributions I do need a virtualbox on top of my Fedora box.
Finally, I decided to install Virtualbox and this is how I made it happen:

I followed these steps to finally have my Virtualbox running on Fedora:

1. Install gcc and dkms modules on Fedora 14 through yum utility:

Even after installing gcc and dkms packages if Fedora 14 throws errors like shown below, it means you are missing kernel-* packages.



Just use yum utility to install rest of kernel-* packages.If no issue occur, kindly proceed to Step 2.


2. Download Virtualbox 3.2.1 from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads by selecting the right package as per your architecture. In my case, I am choosing x86 arch.



3. After successful download, Click on System > Oracle VM Virtualbox. This will open the following screen:

4.Follow up the further steps as per your resources available.










5. Insert the Fedora 14 CD/DVD after right-click on VM > Settings > IDE-CDROM and this way the installation starts.Once the installation completes, Click on Start and your OS is ready to play with.





No comments:

Post a Comment